Are You High Risk?
For some women, pre-existing health problems can make pregnancies risky from the start. However, even normal pregnancies can become complicated when unforeseen conditions arise. A pregnancy is considered high risk when there are potential complications that could affect the mother or baby. At Lone Peak Hospital, our team helps to ensure that you receive the best outcome for you and your baby.
A woman may be considered at risk in her pregnancy for any of the following reasons:
- Younger than 18 or older than 35
- Underweight or overweight
- Anemic (low red blood cell count and poor nutrition status)
- Previously given birth more than four times
- Previously delivered a very large or very small baby
- Previous miscarriage
- Family history of genetic disease or a previous baby with a birth defect
- Weak cervix
- Pre-existing medical conditions such as diabetes, high blood pressure, heart, lung or kidney disease, lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, or epilepsy
- History of blood clots
- Low socioeconomic status
- Uses infertility medications or treatments (more likely to result in multiple births)
- Uses cigarettes, illicit drugs or alcohol to excess
- Is exposed to external risk factors such as exceptionally high temperatures, radiation, pesticides and high altitudes
Maternal-Fetal Medicine Team
If you need specialized care for a high-risk pregnancy, rest assured we've got you covered. Our maternal-fetal medicine team collaborates to deliver a wide array of diagnostic tests and services for high-risk pregnancies.
If you’d like a consultation with a Maternal-Fetal Medicine physician, please call (866) 887-3999.
Our comprehensive services include the following:
- Consultations and recommendations
- Regular obstetric ultrasounds
- Detailed ultrasounds
- 1st trimester nuchal translucency screening
- Genetic screening
- Prenatal diagnostic services such as amniocentesis and chorionic villus sampling.
- Preconception counseling
- Antenatal testing
- Fetal therapy such as blood transfusions and fetal surgical procedures